When it comes to choosing car insurance, there is a lot to consider. Although there are different benefits offered by different insurers, both Comprehensive and Third Party, Fire & Theft cover types come with a minimum amount of cover included no matter where you purchase them.

Third Party, Fire and Theft

Happy Family in Car

Third party insurance is the minimum amount of insurance required by law for each driver under the Road Traffic Act 1961. Third party insurance covers damage to others and their property as a result of an accident that finds you at fault. At An Post Insurance the minimum cover on offer is Third Party Fire and Theft. This cover includes your Road Traffic Accident cover as well as covering your car for fire, theft and attempted theft.

Which one is right for me?

There is no hard fast rule when it comes to deciding which cover is right for you. There are many factors that may come into your consideration, for example:

  • Replacement value of your vehicle
  • Year/ age of your vehicle
  • What’s affordable for you at the time

You may decide that you want to avail of third party fire and theft cover because the premium is cheaper and your car is of a lower value or is older in age.  In this instance it could be that Fully Comprehensive cover would cost more than the value of your vehicle meaning it would be cheaper to replace it yourself, if required.

An Post Insurance provides both Fully Comprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft policies with various optional extras available on both cover types for men and women drivers. 

Find out more about our Car Insurance benefits.