Farm Insurance Getting Insured
We care about protecting what matters to you. Get a quick quote for great value insurance over the phone in a matter of minutes.
Our Features and Benefits
Below are the benefits that come as standard for both our Smart Farm Easy and Smart Farm Choice cover options
- Protecting you if you or your employees are held responsible for accidental injury to clients, customers or the public. Standard cover of up to €6.5 million for public liability claims.
- Cover up to €2.6 million, to protect against costs associated with gradual environmental damage and pollution, including own land and third-party clean-up costs.
- cover provides legal costs of up to €150,000 per claim, and up to €1,500,000 for any one period of insurance. It covers issues such as property disputes, alleged wrongful dismissal of employees or contract disagreements.
Below are the optional extra benefits that you can choose to add to both our Smart Farm Easy and Smart Farm Choice cover options
- Option to include cover for up to 24 months income if you are unable to work on your farm due to unforeseen circumstances.
Injury to Worker
- Option to include cover for up to €13 million for employer liability claims. This cover is available for both family and non-family workers.
Livestock – Option to include specific cover for the death or slaughter on humane grounds of your livestock. Protect your animals in case of flood, fire, lightning, explosion, storm, electrocution, collapse of slats, livestock on foot and livestock in transit.
Farm outbuildings and contents – Option to include extensive cover for outbuildings and contents, including storm cover on outbuildings and milking equipment. There’s no need to break down your contents between hay and straw, agricultural produce, and implements and utensils. Simply provide us with a single figure to cover your outbuildings content. Subject to terms and conditions.
- Farm-dwelling house – Option to include farmhouse and contents cover to protect your home and your business – including business contents, fire brigade charges and accidental damage cover.
Tractors and Agricultural Vehicles
- Option to include third party, fire and theft, or comprehensive cover for farm vehicles. Trailer cover is also available.
- Option to cover for farm jeeps used for farming, social, domestic and pleasure purposes only. Restricted to 2-seater commercial jeeps and commercial crew cab.
Below are the optional extra benefits that you can choose to add to our Smart Farm Choice cover options
Hospitalisation for Sickness Covers
- Option to include cover to provide you with an income due to hospitalisation as a result of unforeseen sickness. The benefit is payable from the fifth day in hospital up to a maximum of 12 weeks.
- Option to include protection against loss of livestock, stolen and unrecovered, due to theft, as well as the option to protect the farm tools you own against theft if your insured farm property is broken into. This is available as an add-on. Theft of diesel is included in your cover at no extra cost when outbuildings are insured.
- Milk – Option to include cover loss or deterioration of milk contained in the tank, including loss due to failure of any thermostatic controlling device, the public supply of electricity, or damage to the bulk milk tank where such failure is not the result of a deliberate act. It also covers loss of your own milk if it’s rejected by the Co-Op because of accidental contamination by antibiotic residue and failure of the Co-op to collect.
- Crops – Option to include cover for loss of or damage to growing crops caused by fire, lightning, explosion, impact and aircraft.
- Pedigree Livestock – Option to include cover for death or infertility as a result of any accident, illness or disease is available as part of the farm policy.
- Forestry – Option to include protection for storm for crops (aged less than 21 years) and fire cover.
- Sheep Flock – Option to include protection for your sheep flock against fatal injury or necessary slaughter arising from dog attack or dog/sheep worrying.
All-Risks Cover for Specialist Equipment
- Option to include cover all your specialist equipment, including bulk milk tank, A.I. flasks, cameras, tack, trailers, calving cameras, and more.
Simply fill out the call back form here: Business and Farm Insurance Quotes Ireland – An Post Insurance. One of our Farm Insurance agents will call you back as soon as possible to talk you through a quote.
If you own a farm that is less than 100 acres, our Smart Farm Easy Policy would suit you.
For larger farms that are over 100 acres, specific, customised cover may be required. You should check out our Smart Farm Choices Policy.
You should insure your farmhouse for its full reinstatement cost rather than its market value.
Insuring at its market value may lead to the value of your claim being reduced in the event of a claim as the market value may be more or less than the reinstatement value.
You should also make an additional provision for demolition and debris removal costs, and for architect’s fees.
The Society of Chartered Surveyors publish an annual guide about home reinstatement. Learn more: www.scsi.ie.
A policy excess is the part of a claim that is not paid by the insurance company. For example, a total claim for €5,000 is reduced by a €200 excess and €4,800 is paid out. The excess for each event insured is outlined in your Policy Schedule or Policy Document.
Being underinsured means the insured sum on your property is less than the value it will cost to reinstate or replace it. All buildings should be insured for their full replacement value, including the cost of demolition and debris removal. Where a property is underinsured, the value of any claim is reduced by whatever proportion is represented by the level of under-insurance.
For example, if a slatted shed with a full rebuilding cost of €100,000 is insured for €60,000 then it is only 60% insured. If there’s partial damage to the building of say €40,000, then only 60% of the €40,000 will be paid out equalling €24,000. It’s important to consider that, in the event of full damage where the total building is totally destroyed, then the €60,000 will be paid – but this still only represents 60% of the replacement cost.
Need further help understanding underinsurance or are you worried you may be underinsured? Speak to our team on 0818 22 22 22.
While the Underwriters of this policy don't offer a discount for IFA or ICMSA members, they do have an excellent low-claims discount that rewards customers who have been claims-free for three years.
No, this is not a part of the policy.
You have to review your insurance requirements because it's important that your insurance provisions adequately meet your needs.
A new outbuilding, acquiring additional land, higher stock values, new part-time employees, or an increase in replacement values of an outbuilding are all examples of times you may need to review your previsions.
AXA Smart Farm has been designed to allow for these reviews.