Cost of Replacing Your Car Key
It’s something we may not think of but if your car key is lost, stolen or broken are you aware of the cost to replace it?
Independent Motors recently carried out research on the subject and found that most companies priced the job at an indication price of somewhere between €50 and €300 with extreme cases potentially costing €500. Our experts in Keycare confirmed they have come across even more extreme cases, with some claims costing up to €1,500.
So, what should we do to try and avoid this unnecessary cost? Before you purchase your Car Insurance policy, check to see what your options are in relation to key cover. Most Insurance Companies provide the option to add key cover as an optional extra for a small fee, one that could end up saving you a lot of money in the long run.
An Post Insurance offers Keycare cover as an optional extra of just €10.50 (including Government levy) * – that’s less than €1 per month. With no Excess to pay and no impact to your No Claims Bonus in the event of a claim, it’s definitely worth the few extra bob.
1) Replacement keys, replacement locks and any locksmith charge up to €1,500 within each period of insurance for the following scenarios;
- Stolen insured key: Locksmith charges or replacement locks.
- Lost insured key if no duplicate key exists: Locksmith charges or replacement locks subject to conditions and a waiting period of 48 hrs.
- Locked in house/Car: Locksmith charges incurred gaining entry to the house/car
2) Cover for broken keys/keys broken in a lock up to €100 per claim.
3) Day Vehicle Hire up to €50 per day.
- For Lost keys: Covered if a duplicate key does not exist and is subject to conditions and a waiting period of 48 hrs
- If locked in car & a duplicate key exists- Onward transport costs to get vehicle to original destination up to €100 per claim
4) €10 reward to the finder of your lost insured key.
For full details on our Key Care cover, please click here.
*Please note this optional extra is not necessary to purchase in order to purchase an An Post Insurance Motor Insurance Policy.
Keycare is administered by Keycare Assistance Limited and underwritten by Mapfre Assistance Agency Ireland.
All the information on this blog is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. While An Post Insurance makes every effort to ensure that the information appearing on this blog is accurate and complete, it does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability or accuracy of this information, whether express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. Any action you take upon the information you find on this blog is strictly at your own risk. An Post Insurance will not be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential losses and/or damages in connection with the use of, or action taken in reliance on information contained in our blog.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of An Post Insurance. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites and if you click on links to these websites you will be subject to the terms and conditions of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.