Car Insurance Eligibility Criteria
We can initially offer an indicative price for car insurance. Policy cover and the premiums shown are not guaranteed until you have provided answers to additional eligibility criteria questions at which point your indicative price may change, or we may not be able to provide you with policy cover. If you are unsure if any information is correct, please contact us to discuss this.
Please remember that you must answer all questions honestly and with reasonable care. This is for your own protection. If you do not ensure the information you give us is correct and keep it up to date, your policy cover is not guaranteed. You may also encounter problems such as a change in cover or premium, an invalid or cancelled policy, reduced claim payment, or difficulty buying insurance in the future.
It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to make any false statement or withhold information to get a certificate of insurance.
If you do not enter a valid vehicle registration number for the car on which you are seeking a quotation, the premiums shown are only an indicative price of what you may have to pay. Policy cover and the premiums shown are not guaranteed until your vehicle registration number has been provided. When you provide your vehicle registration number to us your indicative price may change, or we may not be able to provide you with an indicative price or cover. To purchase this product, you will need to enter the driving licence number for all drivers.
Before you complete an insurance quotation for a policy, including any drivers in addition to yourself you should ensure that you have their consent to provide their personal and sensitive personal data. We would strongly recommend that you read our Privacy Notice which outlines the purposes for which we use data collected. Please ensure any data relating to you which you have entered is accurate, including your contact details and email address. These details will be used to contact you during your policy.
In offering you an indicative price we assume the following:
You, or any driver who will drive:
- Have not been involved in any accidents or had any losses or claims in the last 5 years, or have any outstanding or pending motor insurance claims.
- Have no endorsements/disqualifications in the last 10 years?
- Have never been convicted of any offence of any nature or have any conviction pending (this includes motoring and/or any non motoring criminal offence).
*An individual is not required to disclose a spent conviction when supplying information on past convictions. To determine whether or not a conviction is a 'spent conviction' under the Criminal Justice (Spent Convictions and Certain Disclosures) Act 2016 please click here.
- Do not have any active penalty points that have been awarded by a judgement in a court of law.
- Do not suffer from any medical conditions that impairs the ability to drive.
- You, or any driver who will drive, have never been refused a renewal of motor or home insurance, or had such a policy cancelled for any reason, by an insurer in the last 7 years.
- You, or any driver who will drive, have never an increased excess or reduced level of policy cover imposed by an insurer on a motor policy in the last 7 years.
- The no claim bonus, which is being provided by you to us, will not be used on any other motor policy. (if applicable)
- You, the proposer, are not the main driver of any other car.
- You, the proposer, do not have full time use of another vehicle.
- You, the proposer, do not insure any other vehicles.
- Your car is not converted, adapted or modified in any way.
- Is built mainly for carrying passengers and taxed for private use only.
- Is in a roadworthy condition with lights and braking systems in working order and tyres meeting legal tread depth requirements.
- You and all drivers who will drive permanently reside in the Republic of Ireland.
- You and all drivers who will drive hold a current and valid driving licence to drive in the Republic of Ireland.
- You, as the proposer, are the main driver of the car.
It is an offence to provide false information on an insurance application and can result in a claim not being paid or the policy being declared invalid and cancelled. This includes fronting, which is when someone insures a car in their own name on behalf
of another driver (often a less experienced driver or a driver without a no claims bonus) where the cost of insurance would be higher or in some circumstances result in a quote and cover not being offered if the policy was correctly set up in the
other driver’s name. Please let us know immediately if at any time during the period of insurance (a) the main driver of the car changes; and/or (b) you become the main driver of another vehicle including a company vehicle.
Use of External Databases:
In the process of providing an indicative price we may verify information from sources such as vehicle databases and Insurance Link (a central claims database for the insurance industry) which are administered by Insurance Ireland. The use of external
databases does not remove your obligation to answer all questions truthfully and tell us all facts likely to influence how we assess the insurance proposal.